A massive explosion hit a convoy of high-ranking Yemeni government officials on Sunday in the southern port city of Aden, a security official told Xinhua.
“A car bomb exploded in the Tawahi area of Aden, targeting a passing convoy containing several government officials,” a local security source said on condition of anonymity.
According to him, the explosion of a car bomb was directed against the motorcade of Aden Governor Ahmed Lamlas and other officials of the Saudi Arabian government of Yemen.
According to a local official, the city’s governor and the minister of agriculture were unharmed by the explosion. According to eyewitnesses, columns of black smoke rose from the site of the bombing in Tavakhi.
A local government spokesman for Aden confirmed to Xinhua that five soldiers guarding the governor of Aden had been killed and several others were wounded. No group has yet claimed responsibility for the car bombing.
However, Yemeni government officials have blamed terrorist groups such as al-Qaeda for bombing in recent months. Local authorities are trying to maintain security and stability in Yemen’s strategic port city, which is considered the country’s temporary capital.
However, sporadic bombing incidents and shooting from passing vehicles still occur in Aden, where the Saudi-backed government of Yemen has been based since 2015.
Yemen began a civil war in late 2014, when Iranian-backed Houthi rebels seized control of several northern provinces and drove the internationally recognized Hadi government out of the capital of Sana’a.
(With ANI inputs)