Tahira Kashyap Khurrana recently got scared. She took to Instagram, telling her followers that she had been in the intensive care unit for two days due to an extreme case of food poisoning.
“I had something known as pumpkin bottle toxicity, which is dudhi … Your gentle dodhi can do this to you. If it’s bitter, please don’t eat, ”Tahira said in the video.
She explained that she was consuming a poisonous mixture of bottle gourd juice, which included gourd, amla and some turmeric (haldi). “I used to drink fresh juice in the morning. But that day it was bitter, and I still continued it. The doctor said it was almost like cyanide. “
She went on to say that she thought the drink was bitter because it had “more vitamin C” in it. She warned her followers against making the same mistake.
“Immediately [after consumption] my body reacted. I had about 17 bouts of vomiting and my blood pressure dropped to 40. “
While this sounds very unsettling, nutritionist and health coach Karishma Shah says: indianexpress.com that this happened to a lot of people. “Keep in mind that not all vegetables can be eaten raw. There is a very clear distinction between some that you can eat raw as a salad and others that you should never eat raw. Dudhi is one of them, ”she says.
Shah explains that over time, experts have come to the conclusion that gourd may have adverse effects. “There were cases when people drank the juice and the dudhi was bad, as a result of which they were rushed to the intensive care unit. This can cause shortness of breath and a host of other problems. This is a fairly common occurrence because we have no control over what products we receive. We cannot slice and taste it every day before actually eating it. I will not recommend people to eat raw doodhi. You can blanch and boil it and use it as a subzy or even as a soup. It is cooked and it is safer, ”she concludes.