Brazilian star Neymar says the Qatar World Cup could be the last of his career.
The 29-year-old striker’s comments were featured in the DAZN documentary Neymar and the Line of Kings. The excerpt was posted on the channel’s Twitter feed on Sunday.
“I think this will be my last world championship,” said Neymar. “I experience it like the last World Cup because I don’t know if I can mentally handle more football.
“I will do my best to get there very well,” he added. “I will do everything in my power to win together with my country and fulfill my dream, the greatest since childhood. I hope I can achieve this. ”
The striker did not play on Thursday when Brazil won 3-1 over Venezuela due to suspension.
The match in Barranquilla will mark the return of Neymar after a 2-0 win over Peru on 10 September, in which he played a key role in the Brazilian game with an assist and goal. Despite his efforts, Neymar made it clear after the match that he was upset with the way he was being treated at home.
“I don’t know what else I need to do with this shirt for people to respect Neymar,” he said.
Local media accused the striker of being out of shape following a 1-0 win over Chile in early September, prompting the striker to go shirtless during training to show how fit he is.
In the match against Peru, Neymar overtook Romario to become Brazil’s top scorer in the World Cup qualifiers with 12 goals. He is also close to Pele’s record of 77 official goals for Brazil. The Paris Saint-Germain striker has scored 69 goals for the Brazilian national team.
Neymar has played in two world championships so far. In 2014, he suffered a back injury in the quarterfinals against Colombia, which prevented him from playing 7-1 against Germany in the semifinals.
In the last tournament, Neymar just returned from a serious foot injury and showed an underwhelming performance in Brazil’s quarterfinal defeat against Belgium.